Notable statements from Melnyk:
"The time has come to make some of the most difficult decisions that an ownercan make."
"We’re going to do what it takes to bring the Stanley Cup to Ottawa, whether it takes one, three or five years. It will happen. You have my commitment."
“At this time, it makes no sense to make managerial or coaching changes[.]”
Will Don Brennan shut the fuck up and stop whining about Clouston still being behind the bench? Jason York thinks he should. Peter Raaymakers at SilverSevenSens.com also disagrees that Clouston is at fault. I think everyone in Sens Army - except Don Brennan - has thought the same for a while now. You could see it with Leclaire last year.
A few key points on the rebuild according to sources for the Globe and Mail:
- General manager Bryan Murray will finish out the year in his position but will move on to a senior advisory role
- coach Cory Clouston will also play out the year, but is highly unlikely to stay on as head coach.
- Murray’s immediate task will be the “selling off” of player assets heading into the Feb. 28 NHL trading deadline.
- The new general manager – tentative interviews have already taken place, with deeper interviews to come – would be in place for the June entry draft.
- Over the summer, the new GM, [...] would [...] re-calibrate the team by chasing prospects rather than expensive free agents.